Saturday 30 July 2016

Frustrations of a Woman Living in Bangkok - Poem



A stranger at home
but I am not alone
when I have my self
for company.
Nothing is free in this city
except the smiles on the street.
Spirituality is denied me
The monks focus
on my femininity,
not on me.
It’s culturally binding.
Buddha had no part
in its making.
Why is it I want
what is not
open to me?

A place at the feet
Of those who know more
Than they teach
Windows leading on to paths
On to roads
Pushing me out
Onto dirty canal boats
But I dodge and shy away
From the barefoot orange
That walk the streets
I just look
At my uninteresting feet
Baking in the dust and heat
Wondering if they’ll ever
Be washed by
Dhamma’s all-seeing.



You can read other poems here: Gracie's poems 


Please follow me here... 




Facebook: Gracie's FB page
Google +: Gracie's Google + page

Picture taken by me in Bangkok, Thailand.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!